Lena Nelson Dooley
This week’s Featured Author
Katrina: Thank you so much for being with us this we, Lena. I’ve read over your website and am just amazed at how you got started. I strongly urge readers to check out your site, even before we get started. It is such a blessing. http://www.lenanelsondooley.com . Now, let me begin by asking you a bit about your family if I may. Are you married? Any kids?
Lena: I’ve been married to the love of my life for almost 44 years! We have two daughters, two sons-in-laws, two grandsons, two granddaughters, one granddaughter-in-law, and one great grandson.
Katrina: 44 Years!!! And you say it was love at first sight. That is truly amazing, I must say. What is a typical evening like in your home?
Lena: My husband and I like to spend time together. By the time he gets home, I’ve finished work and have his dinner ready. We spend quite a bit of time catching up on our days. We watch TV together if we’re staying home. Or we read at the same time.
Katrina: Does your family read any of your work
Lena: Yes, my husband, who really isn’t an avid reader, has read most of my books, but he’s tired of reading romance books, so now I don’t give them to him. My daughters have read most of the books and are planning to read the rest. One granddaughter has to read a certain number of books with a lot of pages, so she took the newest one and asked the teacher if she could read it. So now she is.
- Katrina: At what age did you realize you wanted to be an author?
- Lena: I’ve always written. I didn’t know that people didn’t write until I married a man who didn’t read or write, (not illiterate, just didn’t like it). In May of 1984, God told me to become a professional writer. You can read the story about how that happened on the main page of my website: www.lenanelsondooley.com
- Katrina: Who has impacted your writing the most?
- Lena: I have to say the members of American Christian Fiction Writers. They’ve helped me grow and mature in my writing.
- Katrina: Where is your favorite place to write?
- Lena: After my daughters married and left home, I turned one bedroom into an office. I like to write sitting at my desk on my desktop computer. I have a big, flat screen monitor, a curved keyboard, and a comfortable chair.
- Katrina: I want to turn now to your relationship with the Lord. At what age did you come to know the Lord personally?
- Lena: I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was seven years old. It was the summer after my mother died, and I was at a revival in a country church. Then when I was in my twenties, I came to know Him as Lord. He moved deeper into my life, and I can’t live without Him now.
- Katrina: I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother at such an early age. That breaks my heart. Since that time, how has your relationship with the Lord affected your writing?
- Lena: He created me with the ability to write. Then He called me to write for Him. All of my books have a strong message, subtly woven throughout the story.
- Katrina: Thank you so much for joining us today. Next, we’ll be hearing about the business side of your writing career and what plans you have on the horizon.