- Katrina: Back with us again today is author Golden Keyes Parsons. Golden is the author of new release The Shadow of the Sun King, a Darkness To Light novel published by Thomas Nelson Publishing. Now, we’ve learned a little bit about your family. Today I want to hear more about your walk with the Lord and how that has affected your writing.
- Katrina: At what age did you come to know the Lord personally?
- Golden: I was fourteen and my boyfriend invited me to a youth retreat. I had been struggling for about a year with the fact that simply being “good” and going to church did not make me a Christian. The Easter weekend of my freshmen year in high school, Jesus became real to me–and I’ve never gotten over.
- Katrina: How has your relationship and walk with the Lord affected your writing career?
- Golden: My relationship with the Lord is not something that I do, it is who I am, so it permeates my entire life. I cannot do anything by write from a Christian world view.
- Katrina: Speaking of a Christian world view, tell us a bit about your latest release.
- Golden: Madeleine and Francois Clavell are French Huguenots in 17th century France fleeing the persecution of King Louis XIV’s Catholic government. They eventually have to leave their estate and France. Francois is sentenced to the galleys, and Madeleine takes the family to Switzerland for refuge. This is the first installment in a four-book series.
- Katrina: It sounds very interesting. Are any of the characters in the story modeled after you?
- Golden: The book itself is based on my family genealogy. As I wrote, Madeleine took on many of my personal characteristics — independent, head-strong, determined.
- Katrina: During your writing, are there ever characters that emerge uninvited?
- Golden: All the time 🙂 The original Clavell family had two sons, but as I began to write their story, a daughter emerged–the youngest child. My editor tells me I am an “organic” writer. I have a general idea of where the story is going, but my characters take on a life of their own and tell the story.
- Katrina: What are you working on next? Could you tell us a bit about it?
- Golden: I am working on Book #2 in the series, A Prisoner At Versailles. In the second book, King Louis sends spies into Switzerland (which he actually did) and brings Madeleine, now a widow, back to Versailles against her will. They were once in love, and the king wants to install her as one of his mistresses.
- Katrina: Where can readers find your latest release?
- Golden: Amazon.com, Christianbook.net, Borders, Barnes & Noble, KMart (at Christmas), Christian bookstores.
- Katrina: Thank you so much for being here with us. It has been a pleasure and I look forward to hearing more later this week.
- Golden: Okay, thanks Katrina.